Pages

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

January 20, 2009, Washington DC

New day at the Mall.


“It’s been a long time coming, but tonight, because of what we did on this day, in this election, at this defining moment, change has come to America.”


YESTERDAY, I was one of the reported 1.8 million people who walked, biked, "metrod" and "bused" to downtown DC to witness the inauguration of the 44th President of the United States, President Barack Obama. It was cold (my bones were frozen)! It was crazy (some 1.8 million squeezed in a small portion of the city under tight security). It was a challenging experience. But it was a day I would not want to miss.

You have probably read all the news coverage about it or watched it on TV. But I would like to share with you some personal stories as captured (albeit, inadequately) from my camera phone.

Capturing the mood
It was a cold morning (27 degrees?) at the Mall. Flocks of birds and people from all over were mingling towards the Obelisk, waiting for the sun to come up. There was so much optimism and hope. It reminded me of the festive mood during the "people power's revolution" in Manila in 1986 (although a completely different context).




(I have very little experience in manipulating the layout of pictures in this blog. I can't seem to move them around. I will have to post some more pictures tomorrow.)

No comments:

Post a Comment