Pages

Monday, January 12, 2009

Obama-drama

"The world, it seems, is going to descend on the city on January 20, as well it should. The inauguration of Barack Obama, as the country’s 44th president, and its first black one, ought to justify that overused word, historic. "

I’m in the right place at the right time. Except for braving the cold, I can’t find a good excuse not to be there, if I can.

And besides, I love dramatic moments.

In the last few weeks, the District is being spruced up like a grand stage, all set for the unfolding drama. You can smell excitement on K street. You feel the buzz on Penn Ave. The mood is celebratory. It's inauguration countdown everywhere! Mayor Fenty announced that bars will be opened till 4 am on the 20th! Well, that is big news for a city that sleeps at 10 pm.

Yesterday, during lunch break, I walked around the White House and took these pictures. Abby sent me the picture of the blockage of LaFayette park. (Thanks, Abby!) As you can see, it's close to show time!






No comments:

Post a Comment